Have you spent much time thinking about what are the causes of stress in your life? If you are like most human beings, isn’t a lot of our stress self-induced? Why is that? If you step back and examine such situations, doesn’t a lot of our worry and anxiety come from things that we have no control over?
Here are some examples that you might be able to relate to…
- You tell your friend how to solve a dilemma in their life but they don’t listen to a word you say.
- Your favorite sport team blows a game because of what you think is a poor decision by the coach or referee.
- You plan an outdoor event because the weather forecast looks like it’s going to be a great day. But just when the event starts, it starts raining.
- Your spouse or child doesn’t think like you want them to think and it frustrates you to wits end.
- Your boss never seems to appreciate your work.
The list could go on and on. But do you see a common ingredient? Doesn’t each one of them involve something that you have no control over? It’s been said that FRUSTRATION develops as a result of BLOCKED GOALS.
So how is it that we can CHOOSE to reduce or eliminate frustration? Years ago, a young man that was studying at Grace College to become a counselor shared this sage advice. Instead of setting firm GOALS on things that you don’t have control over, establish DESIRES instead and then trust God for the results.
So if you want to take something away from this blog, would you consider this approach?
“Spend your time and energy on things you can control. In the things that you can't control, establish desires and then exercise faith.”
As I am learning to take this approach, my levels of frustration and stress have reduced significantly. My hope is that it will do the same for you and that joy will fill those pockets that used to be filled with stress.